Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Progress

That which has been a 6yr thorn in our side, has now been completed.. well 95% anyways! Privacy fence finished. Pasture fence finished. We still need to finalize it all by cutting off the 4x4 post tops, but otherwise it is secure and un-passable by horses or dogs!! Not sure if we will still get the deer in our pasture, I'm hoping the apples still draw them in and they are able to jump over. Once we get all the fallen trees out of the pastures and branches burned, we can move forward with daily turnout.. I'm sure the horses will love it!

Progress with Tucker has been slow, but steady. I cross tie him in the barn which allows me a lot more freedom to move in/out from him. Someone taught him to tie, he handles that part just fine. I can now pick up his front feet although he doesnt let me hold them long, and I can somewhat pick up his back legs. He's still very jumpy and unsure about being touched at random. I intend on building a temporary round pen to work him in, it is desperately needed to move forward I think. I'm planning to utilize the Monty Roberts method on him, hoping it gets him to want to join up with me and think of me as his alpha instead of being so shy of my interaction.

Our horse club had a Dutch Oven Day again this past weekend, BEAUTIFUL weather we had for it!! We all should have been out riding instead of cooking.. oh well, I suppose just maybe we will get another 60+ day in our future and maybe we'll get lucky and it will fall on a weekend, although the snow level is supposed to drop to about 500' again tonight.

I struggle with trying to find the balance of my evenings with working Tucker, needing to ride Red and get him in shape (soon!), cooking dinner, cleaning, laundry and spending some down-time with Derek watching some shows and off to bed by 9:30.. There just isnt enough time to do it all. I am failing with Red, cooking, cleaning, laundry and sometimes getting to bed by 9:30! LOL Ideally I would love to hire a housecleaner to come in every other week and take care of all the chores I just dont have or make the time to do, how expensive can it be???

No comments: