Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It took a full week to get over the itching from those damn bee stings! I was almost going crazy even still after 6-7 days with the itching on my thighs and under my arms.. maybe because it was the softer skin?

We busted behinds this past weekend, getting things ready to bring the horses back home. Tore out the old goat shelter and took it to the dump, finished one of the stalls off as the new hay room, realized last years hay was too moldy from getting wet, so we sold it as cow hay, stacked the last 2 tons of this years hay in the new stall, and spent a good 4 hours picking up all the sticks and branches in the pasture and burning them.. the one thing we did not actually accomplish was getting the horses home! It just got a bit too late to do that and we have one more section to clean out before we can bring them home, so the plan is to finish up this coming weekend.

While we worked in the barn, we locked the goats into the backyard to keep them out of trouble (which really means to keep them out from under our feet and being major pains-in-the-asses!) Monday night as we slept, we awoke to the cries of one of the goats.. Meenie seemed to be upset. I carried him down to the barn and could then see he was frothy in the mouth and he was grinding his teeth constantly! I didnt know what to do for him, my initial thought was that he was choking, but because he threw up, it couldnt be that. The next morning when I was texting with Andrea about it, she asked if the goats had been exposed to any Rhody bushes! I called Derek at home and he went and checked the rhody bush, sure enough it appeared to have been chewed on in spots... damn!! Rhody is very poisonous to goats.. I found an antidote recipe online, so Derek went to the store to buy the ingredients and gave the poor kid a couple doses yesterday. He also noticed that Eenie seemed a bit sick too, so he got a dose or two also.

They both seemed to be doing okay last night, Meenie was drinking and neither goat was frothy at the mouth. Derek is giving them both more doses today and we are hoping to reach Andrea again, as we might need to give them some fluids to keep them hydrated. I know the mixture is working though because there was puke all over the stall this morning! It is good that they are getting all that shit out of their bellies.. I am still very worried and although I hope we are out of the woods, I think we are still on the edge and it could go either way. :( I would be super sad to loose any of them, I just love these baby kids...

Tomorrow night Derek & I are hoping to get video of Cooper! That damn dog, his new favorite toy is a big horse ball that was out in the pasture. It has a handle on it and he thinks it is the best toy ever!!! He picks it up and spins out of control around the living room, sometimes throwing it but mostly just jerking that ball back/forth against his own body and spinning!! He got going so fast last night, I lost track of what end was what, he became one brown blurr. We were laughing so hard, I told Derek this was our ticket to $10,000 on AFV. :)

No comments: