Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Involuntary Moment of Silence

As I walked out of Subway a short while ago on lunch break, I noticed that while I had been inside ordering a sandwhich, motorcycle cops had come up and blocked Tye Street from Fryelands. Unable to now leave the parking lot, I just stood there.. it only took me about 10 seconds to figure out what I was witnessing and it left me motionless and thoughtless to anything else at that moment. My heart immediately felt an overwhelming amount of sadness and I was very suprised to feel so much hurt inside and tears in my eyes.

Probably 40+ motorcycle cops slowly passed by me, headed from the Prison a mile + down the road, towards Everett for the funeral. Those in the parking lot area just stood there and watched in silence. I was feeling under control of my emotions until I saw the hearse and then reality of the situation sunk in. I saw her American Flag covered coffin, the black limos carrying the family, the police cars, aid cars, other family and friends following in their personal vehicles. It all became overwhelming and I cried...

This was the motorcade for officer Jayme Biendl, the prison guard killed by an inmate. I had known about this story, anyone with a TV knows about it (in WA atleast). Derek & I had briefly talked about it, the bullshit of how it could happen. I think we didnt talk a lot about it because it just brings about anger at our system. It seems insane that a prison guard has no way to protect herself and that she is not allowed to carry a GUN! Call me crazy, but I think there is something seriously wrong with our system when an inmate can so easily kill a guard. Maybe if we ran prison's the way a criminal should be treated, this wouldnt happen... anyways, back on track.

My point was that I hadnt spent much time "thinking" about this prison guard, I felt sad for her family and for her, anger that it happened, I heard on the news this AM that her funeral was today, but I didnt dwell on it or have feelings of such sadness until I saw it and was able to put my own reality on the situation in seeing her coffin. I think we can tend to get a bit numb to the bad things that happen to people when we watch the news daily, if it doesnt hit home or does not have a personal tie to your life, you can tend to forget about the human side of it, the reality of life. Atleast that is what happens with me and I was thankful to have seen this motorcade today, to have seen her body pass by me, to remind me again about all the things I am thankful for. To be reminded that the things I hear on the TV news are real and not just another "show" that I watch every night/morning. Reminds me of the loss in my life and to continue to work to have more compassion and understanding of those around me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wholeheartedly agree with how prisons should be run Piper....I was floored I had no idea that these guards can not protect themselves. What really angered me was the comment the head of the prison made about wanting it to be a relaxed social setting....really after raping and killing you should get to be in a relaxed social setting, WOW.
Bless that poor women and her family...but some serious changes need to be made at that prison!