Monday, May 16, 2011

Called in Backup

Thursday evening as I was looking at Dexter's cut, it was pussy and very swollen so I opted for backup help and hauled him in Friday morning to see Dr Dana. She asked me to be there at 6:30 am! Yikes.... I realized he probably wasnt missing a chunk of skin, he most likely just cut himself and it parted ways creating the big opening. As Dana cleaned it all out, she asked if I wanted to clean daily or stitch it up.. duh, that was a super easy answer, Stitch! No way was he going to let me clean it out like that w/o being drugged daily! :)

Even under sedation, he didnt want his naughty bit region touched, kicked the wall as Dr Dana felt him up, and yes indeed she found 2 dropped bits.. YEAH! Whew thats one future vet bill that will not cost me as much as surgery if he hadnt been dropped.

Here's his pretty pink stitches! 9 I think total.
Its a bit of a challenge every day to put an anti-bacterial spray on it, the fighting him twice a day got old very quickly and we were getting nowhere, so I now spray the solution in my hand and wipe it on his face, which is challenge enough! All the while doing this with no halter on him, just a rope around the neck. I'm staying positive and using it as a learning experience for him to learn to lead and be handled without a halter.

No comments: