Thursday, January 12, 2012

Some People...

As I was driving home yesterday from work on Hwy 2, I saw a loose sheep next to the highway, eating grass. It blended in very well, so most probably didnt even notice it but I do like to think that I pay attention to my surroundings pretty well! :)

I turned around and decided to let the owner know. Every day I drive past an electronic reader-board that indicates how many days since the last serious accident on Hwy 2, so I didnt want this sheep to set that board back to zero. The house was not visible from Hwy 2 and after a couple times knocking on the door, 2 teenage girls finally answer. I informed them that their sheep was out by the Hwy and she says.. "Oh thats our goat and she gets out all the time, she'll be fine." I said "Well she could kill someone if she gets on the freeway, its a dangerous situation..." the girl just shrugged me off, said it was fine and shut the door.

Well her "I dont give a shit" attitude was not satisfactory to me, so I called animal control and left a message. Still not satisfied and sick about the idea of the sheep (or goat as she called it) that it could kill someone, I called 911. I had left the property at this point, I wasnt going to cause a scene on site but it pissed me off!

If you are going to own animals, then do everything in your power to ensure the safety of the animal and the public!! They were going to dispatch someone out to the home, I was unclear if it would be a sherriff or animal contol and not sure if that happened last night or not, but animal control called this morning and left me a msg that they would be visiting the home today and if I see the animal out again, let them know as they would then issue a ticket to the home owner..

Makes me feel good to call in stupid people like that! Sure I've made mistakes and my animals have had escape problems a couple times over the 8 years that I've owned my home, but I always fix the problem when I am made aware of it and I dont just let them continue to get out just because I'm too lazy to do anything about it. It all stems back to being a responsible home-owner and pet owner... and some people should not be allowed to own either!

No comments: