Friday, February 3, 2012

Time to get Motivated!

Yep, I'm tired of not being motivated to get out and ride... I think part of it is the weather, when it is just pouring out, what can ya do when you dont have an arena to ride in! But the other part of it was me coming to the conclusion slowly over the past many months that I was just not happy and satisfied with my horse situation and struggling with the idea of fixing that. Since my horse Red was given to me, I knew that if I wanted a new horse, I was going to have to come up with the cash on my own to buy one since it was unlikely I would be able to sell Red. I had a feeling his previous owner would want him back, so I was really trying to make it work.. I kept telling myself he will grow on me, I will learn to love riding him.

But reality was sinking in. I cannot trust to ride him alone and I cant ride him bareback in my pasture even, without fear of falling off from him spooking at something... I ran into a friend before Christmas, I had not seen her in probably 12-18 months. Out of nowhere she tells me that her mom is selling a horse that she thinks would be perfect for Derek & I, even though she didnt know at the time that I was unhappy with Red. So for the past 6 weeks, I've been thinking more and more about what to do and with a tax refund coming our way, decided that it was time I was happy!

When I contacted Red's previous owner, she was very happy to take him back. When he was given to me, her life was headed one direction and she just didnt have the need for him but her life changed a bit, she met a man and they were hoping to find a horse for him in the near future.. perfect timing! :) I am returning Red on Saturday. This all came about over the past 2 days actually. Another friend offered her horse to me to ride anytime, so even if I dont find one right away, I have one to ride.

I did contact my friend, and her mom's horse is still available so I am going riding on Saturday to try her horse. He is a draft/mustang cross, 17h. I'm not getting over excited, I dont want to expect anything in my hunt for a new horse. The right one will come along at some point and I'll be patient to be sure I will be happy for a long time with my next horse and I will not settle for anything less than perfect for me. :)

I dont know if it was the weather or my new sense of excitement in finding a new horse, but I was a bit motivated last night and actually rode Oakley around the driveway bareback for a while.. it felt SOO good to be on him!

No comments: