Friday, June 15, 2012

Big Willie Style..

I've had Willie home for 2 weeks now, I can hardly believe time has flown by so quickly! He is laid back, mellow and easy going.. just like I had hoped he would be when I first decided to buy him. He might actually be the horse I envisioned.. Only time will tell but so far so good.

He is a little thin, so I'm working to build his weight back up. I LOVE Shannon to pieces, but she keeps her horses thinner than I like so my focus is letting him have a mental break so he can really appreciate his new comfy life! He is an asshole at feeding time, kicks the wall if Oakley gets too close and almost every day at about 5am, he and Oakley must get to playing a little between their stalls because he kicks the barn wall and wakes me up damn near daily! :) His ground manners have been really great though. He still has some young horse attitude about a few things like picking up his feet, but that will all come in time and is easy to deal with.

We hauled up to Mann Rd on Sunday to go on our first trail ride since having him home. I hadnt been on him in over a month and my last ride on him was at Shannons, a windy rainy night inwhich he was a huge asshole.. so I was a bit apprehensive about my first ride on him even telling Derek on the drive to Sultan that if he doesnt work out by the end of the year, I'm not keeping him. Even with my slight nerves, he did AWESOME!! He tried to act a little green a couple times, but nothing I couldnt handle... He was not the same horse I had ridden a month earlier. We had a very nice 1.5hr ride with Kathy & Leanne, I cant wait to get out again!

Willie doesnt love the goats, he tolerates them normally but at feeding time, they have learned they cannot go anywhere near his stall if they want to keep their heads.. Literally!! I've seen him kick out at them when they've crossed the feeding line, scares the shit outta me that he's gonna kill one but goats are not dumb and they have quickly learned where that invisible line is!

No comments: