Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Easter

Since we dont have any children and there was no reason to paint easter eggs or hide chocolate rabbits around the house, we decided to go clamming instead!  Lance had invited us out to Whidbey Island (Penn Cove), it sounded fun..  And the weather this weekend was amazing, blue skies, close to 70 degrees.. 
It only took us just over an hour or so to get our 40/each limit!    In the above picture, there are 80+ clams there.  Apparently they are called butter clams.  I'm not a big clam lover, I dont like to eat them actually.. the only way I will tolerate them is in clam chowder..  Although I dont know if I've had clam strips or not, I would imagine I could eat those.. but eating the entire clam right out of the shell.. Yuck, not gonna happen!!

And boy do we have some biggy clams!  :)  They are on our back porch right now, resting in salt water, eating corn meal which is supposed to help clean their systems out so they are not full of sand.  The plan is to leave them that way for a couple days, then steam them, freeze them and wait until we have the time to attempt some clam chowder or who knows what other recipes we can come up with!!
We had a really great time and look forward to more clamming trips in the future.. I hope to find a way to love eating them, otherwise I'll be calling some friends to take some off our hands..  



No comments: