Monday, July 29, 2013

Hula is Home

That had to be the longest 2 weeks....  waiting for the day I would get to go pick up my new horse!  On Thursday I emailed Garret to find out if I would need to drive to Spokane or Moses Lk to pick her up on Sunday.  He informed me he was headed to Moses on Saturday and we could meet up that day if I wanted.  Well DUH!!  Of course I would pick her up a day earlier than planned, it was like Christmas in July.  I have been so over-joyed with the thoughts of getting her.

I had my annual load of hay coming in Saturday morning.  7 tons of Orchard Grass from Yakima.  Derek had to work, so I asked Rachel's son Austin to help (he owed us a favor for hauling his car for him).  The hay guy Matt was supposed to arrive in Monroe between 7-8.  He sent me a text at 6:15 that he was in town and not to rush!  OMG...  Seriously!  Austin brought a friend along, we got to my parents at about 7 and had the hay done by 8.  Austin & his friend Noah worked pretty good and were a huge help, while Matt stacked the hay in the barn.  I like the hay, seems nice enough.

After I dropped Austin back home and picked up Rachel, we soon headed out to Moses Lake!  It was a long morning, everything kept dragging on and taking forever...  I was just so damn anxious!  We finally arrived in Moses at about 2:15.  Pulled her out of the trailer, she casually walked into my trailer and stood awesome for the next 6 hours as we ate lunch, refueled, and made the trek back home.  Pulled in the driveway at 8pm, heard a screech from across the street as the neighbor girls had been impatiently waiting for hours for the return of my rig!  When I pulled her out of the trailer, she looked up, then dropped her head to eat as the girls moved in to pet her.

She settled well, like she had lived there all her life.  I locked the pesky goats out for the night.  The next morning, I allowed the goats to come back in and fed her some hay.  She allowed the goats to stand in the tub and she quietly would eat around them.  She's not a fan yet of them rubbing against her, but in a day or two, I'm sure she will be over that.

Pulled her out Sunday afternoon to shave a bridle path in, trim her jaw whiskers and spent an hour bathing her.  She took it all in stride, never flinched much at anything, just the perfect horse!  After her bath, I walked her around the neighborhood for 30 or so minutes to dry off.  She was a bit leery out there, spooked a couple times, snorted a little..  Nothing unexpected for a horse that just went through a major life change!

Love Love my Hula Girl




I did learn a few new things about her.  Was able to email with the actual owner.  Garret is a trainer and took her on consignment basically.  The owner did inform me that she is 13, so that was a slight bummer.  But she has been used for packing in, has packed out game, used for barrel racing, trails, pulled a cart, parades and more..  Regardless of her older age, I love this Hula Girl and am excited to get out and start riding her!!!  And doesnt she clean up nice!!  :)

No comments: