Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Russell, Russell, Russell

The poor guy is making me feel awfully sorry for him! I came home the other day from work and as I stood outside the front door, I could hear him in the house howling :( Which is something he just never does... I felt so sad for him, he was sitting up on the back of my recliner chair, his new found favorite spot to be. He about broke my heart when I heard him crying in the house all by himself. Last night as we packed up the camper for Derek's hunting trip this weekend, he sat in the house howling! ;(

When he does things like that it makes me want another dog to keep him company, I think the guy is lonely and sad during the day when we are gone, but then a bigger part of me enjoys the idea of having just the one dog so we can take him everywhere we go, he'll get to go horse camping with us and run errands etc... With 2 dogs, its double the hassle but manageable with just him. So it is a dilema in trying to figure out what is the right thing to do. We have talked a lot about our next dog being a hunting dog, which we are not quite ready for and in the meantime poor little Russell has to suffer, thats what my thoughts are telling me anyways. Maybe he is a happy little dog, but maybe he's not happy and misses having a friend around.

The other night we went out with the cousins to Red Robin and then the bull riding in Monroe, had a great time! There were 9 at dinner and 13 to watch the bulls.. When we got home, Russell was in the driveway!!! Scared the crap out of us to pull in the drive and see him wandering around... He was pretty wet so he'd been out a while, but we'd been gone for hours so not sure exactly how long he was out for and where he may or may not have gone. It just scared me so bad that 2 weeks after loosing Scout, here Russell is out wandering alone and who knows if he was in the street or not... The front gate can be tricky and if you dont push it closed, it sometimes pops off the latch if you just swing it closed and walk away.. we think one of us didnt pay attention or a visitor came while we were gone and didnt shut it properly. We now have a spring to put on the gate so it doesnt happen again.

No comments: