Friday, June 10, 2011

Who knew...

Who knew that the trauma of naughty-bits-b-gone was gonna bring Dexter and I closer! I certainly didnt. Over the past 6 days, he really has jumped leaps and bounds with accepting me and standing still when I approach him for haltering, he even walks towards me when I open his stall door.. I am just amazed by this kid!

Yesterday afternoon he was not feeling well though, very lethargic, his body was really warm to the touch, and he hadnt finished his breakfast. He let me take his temperature (something he wouldnt let the vet do prior to his surgery), it was 104! I phoned Dr Hannah to find out the dosage to put him on antibiotics; this AM his temp was back down to normal and his appetite was normal as well.

I figured this procedure would have been a set back, but maybe because he hasnt felt 100%, he just doesnt care as much to fight me. I can scrub his nether-region daily, although he doesnt like it, he doesnt try to kick me either. I can hose it, sitting right next to him in a chair and he'll stand there perfectly still.. Thats after only 2 times ever being approached with a hose! I have turned him loose in the yard to eat grass and can approach him to catch him. We've gone for walks down the road and although the cars make him nervous, he respects me and listens and when we dont go for walks, I lunge him in circles and he's picked up "WHOA" already and learning to walk and trot just from the click of my mouth and will change directions with just the pointing of a finger and learning to stop with non-verbal signals as well. He's not perfect yet, but he is awesome!

No comments: