Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Carpet, the word that represents the end!

I never thought the word carpet would bring such happy thoughts to me. Carpet installation is supposed to be the VERY last thing that is done to your house when you are building a house. Carpet was SUPPOSED to be installed this Friday 6/27. Did you catch the word, supposed to.....

So the builder screwed up, or the cabinet manufacturer did, nobody is fessin up to who caused this problem, but my new updated carpet installation date....... ready...... drumroll...... 7/16!!! Yikes.

What a bummer. :( 3 weeks later. I am trying real hard to let this slide off my shoulders. See the problem is that the kitchen island was never put on order, so I am pretty lucky I guess that it is getting to me as quickly as it is. That is what I am being told anyways.

The interior of my house is almost done. Trim is up, doors are on and hardware is on, kitchen cabinets are done, bathrooms are almost done. By tomorrow, the interior will be done except for the island, the bathroom cabinet (they screwed up that one too and brought the wrong one!) and the carpet. Oh and fixing the messed up crooked walls... We've got to deal with gettin those fixed before carpet comes in, wish us luck. They want to wait til after carpet when they fix other little minor things to save themselves a couple hundred bucks... long story, but parts of this process have brought out the not so best in me.

I have realized over the past 4 months or so, that I have become a more bitchy person at the drop of a hat sometimes. I'm not talking about bitchy to Derek, I'm talkin about rude/bitchy behavior in public with strangers. Sometimes unprovoked and unnecessary! Call it stress, tension, not sure what the heck to call it, but I have noticed. In the moment of being that way, I could care less how rude I sound, afterwards sometimes I just laugh and shrug because it is so uncommon for me and not normal. Am I really changing or is it just this process taking it's toll on me?

Sometimes you just have to vent a little steam. There is one guy that we just cannot stand, the general manager of our building project.... Barry. Barry is an arrogant man that you get that little man syndrome vibe from. He is part of my problem, he is a P-in-the-A to deal with and unfortunately I've had to deal with him a few times on issues. Nothing too major, but he sets me into a tone that is not always nice.

I'm looking forward to finishing this house so I can get back to me! I am learning to stand up for myself a little more and demanding what I expect. Since I am paying a lot of money, I am learning that I HAVE to be/act a certain way to be sure things are done properly and not the lazy half-ass way that the builder sometimes wants to go.

So after this week, my house is most likely going to sit empty with no action for 2 weeks, waiting for cabinets so then the plumber can come back, the electrician, the trim guy, the countertop guy, then probably the carpet guys.. then we do a final walkthrough with Barry and create a "punchlist" (which is a list of all the little/big things that we expect to be fixed by the builder), then we call the county for Final Inspection and hopefully Pass, then we sign papers to release the final funds to the builder and THEN hopefully we get to move in! Sigh....

No comments: