Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Crazy Weekend

Whew, am I glad the work week is here... lol j/k but really, it was a very busy weekend for us. I took Friday off, I wanted a 4-day weekend. The plan was to get a million things done in the house. Here is what I wanted to get done: paint shelf, organize/unpack office, wash/scrape all windows, pick up garbage outside, clear off deck, clean bathrooms, unpack boxes in laundry room, unpack/organize bathroom boxes, assemble shelf for bathroom, assemble shelf for craft room, unpack craft room and organize onto shelving units, finish spare bedroom, organize garage, take empty boxes to the dump, clean floors, assemble pictures/frames. All that does not seem unreasonable does it?


We get our bulldozer rental on Friday afternoon, so Derek finished up with his day job (he worked at home all day Friday) while I painted a shelf, and then he got on the dozer.. he wanted me to stay out in the field while he worked incase he went over the edge or something happened, so for a couple hours I sat in a chair with my feet propped up and watched him move dirt! :) It was funner than it sounds, but really it wasnt necessarily fun but it was kinda cool to watch him wipe out trees and dig up stumps.

Saturday morning he got up early (we got up early) and were back out in the pasture by 9am bulldozing. I watched for a couple hours until Tyler showed up, then I was able to go in the house and get some of my things done. I didnt get much done, because my dad came over to help us finish with the yard fencing. We all worked on the fence for an hour or more and got it finished! Yippy.. meanwhile, the neighbor was sssslllll...oooowwllllyyyy working on his side and getting the word section done. I have to give him credit though, it is beautiful and he did have it finished by Monday, just in time for the BBQ. After finishing the fence, dad and I ran some errands in town, we hung the gates, installed some lattice and by the time we were finished, we decided eating at home and cooking after a hard days work, was not an option, so El Paraiso we went...

Sunday morning Derek finished with the last of the dozing. I stressed some cuz I felt like I did not get hardly anything on my list done and the big house-warming BBQ was the next day! George & Rachel were on their way to our house... They showed up and the guys were doing something, dont really remember what.. hmmmm. But we decided to go to the fair for a couple hours on Sunday afternoon. We just walked around, ate some, saw the exhibit barns and animals and left. No games or rides. I did go see my baby kids at the petting farm and it was very sad. They were in the resting pen and they just hung their heads and looked exhausted. I was REALLY glad that they were going home the next day cuz they didnt seem themselves and I felt sad for them.

We left the fair, and at home Derek/George started working on the deck cover while Rachel and I worked on my craft room. Here is what I got done from my list above. Built both shelves (almost took my thumb off, the electric drill slipped off the screw and went straight into my thumb, OUCH!!) finished the spare bedroom (yeah!) unpacked 1/2 the craft room, painted shelf and organized office, organized 1/2 of garage mess and delivered 1/2 the boxes to Julie. There were some other things I got done, but looking back, I was crazy to think I could get my entire to-do list done. I feel good about what I did accomplish, but was stressing because I didnt feel the house was 100% ready for the BBQ. I soon realized that it did not matter and it is what it is!

So I got up early Monday morning to get some things done, still needed to vaccum and go grocery shopping for the BBQ. The guys started working on the deck and were still working on it deck as people showed up. They got the framing all done, the only part left is the roof. OMGosh, it is going to be so nice when it is done! I just LOVE my deck now.. I cant even believe the difference it makes having even just a framed cover on it. Completely redefines my deck and the back of the house.

The BBQ/housewarming went well. There were 35 adults & 7 kids & 6 dogs! :) It was a great day, the sun was 1/2 out, but it felt very much like fall! Russell was exhausted, he played all day with the kids and this morning he didnt want to move much. He's a little stiff. It is always stressful throwing together friends and family that dont really know eachother, but it turned out okay and noone seemed uncomfortable. It was a nice day, people started showing up around 2 and the last person left at 9. Thanks to all those that came over, hope you had a great time. If you couldnt make it out, stop by anytime.

No comments: