Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I SAW A BEAR TODAY!!!

OMG... I decided I had about an hour of "leasure" time today after work to go riding. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to get my behind in the saddle again, I miss riding! I decided to pony Oakley while riding Edgar. Oak needs the excersize as much as Edgar and he could use the exposure. He actually is great to pony, nothing really spooks him (well except that dead raccoon in the road today!). As we were about 30 minutes into our ride with only about 15 more to go before getting home, I am strolling downhill through the power lines, when something catches my eye down the hill close to the edge of the woods... OH MY Heart just about leaped out of my chest, it was a black bear! It was just strolling along, didnt seem to notice me or if it did, it didnt care. But being a good distance away, I was able to see it was probably atleast close to mid thigh tall to the top of its back, I didnt know how old it was, so all I could think about was that momma bear must be above me on the hill looking down on her kid and gonna have to run right through me to get to baby.

Who knows, maybe it was a few years old, but it didnt make me feel any better not knowing! So I just scanned left and right and left and right looking for a second bear to come attack me. In the meantime, the one I DID see, strolled into the woods to be unseen. I noticed that the entire powerlines I was on, was FULL of very ripe blackberries, EVERYWHERE! and as I looked in more detail, I could see places where bears had gone into the bushes a little to eat berries and I could see paths going over the top of the berries that only a bear would make. It was a little unnerving, OKAY I LIED, A LOT unnerving! I just rode along as calm as could be to keep my horse calm, who didnt seem to even notice I was in a mind panic ontop of him, I just pictured myself calling Derek and trying to explain to him where I was at as I was getting eaten and beaten by a bear! lol I am such a freak...

I'm not sure I want to go ride by myself... I love the peace of it, but is it really a good idea. Maybe I need to start packin a gun so I have a fighting chance. What if that bear had been on the trail, what if my horse spooked and I came off.

OMG, I just remembered, before I saw the bear, and I mean literally not even 5 minutes before, I thought about the scenario of running across a bear and how would my parents deal with me being "gone". I honestly was thinking about that and worried about dying, and then WTF I come across a damn bear.. whew, riding has become an interesting thing for me. I almost feel like I have slight premonitions.. I mean this is only the 2nd time this has happened, but still..

about 4-5 months ago, I was riding by myself at Lords Hill. As I was starting out my ride and crossing the bridges, I looked to the sky and did something I never thought I would do. I verbally (aloud) asked my sister to protect me and watch over me, not because I felt scared, I really dont know why I asked her that day. I had a beautiful ride that day, but then... I decided to explore a trail I had not been on. Very long story short, my horse and I got ourselves into a very sticky situation which caused me to fall off him, falling OVER 6 feet down, flat on my back on a very very rocky trail. Now, normally when I fall off (yes it does happen occassionally) I consciously tell myself to tense my neck muscles to avoid hitting my head on the ground (and yes I know I should wear a helmet but I just am not there yet). Well this time it was like my mind went blank and I did not tell myself anything, I just fell hard as a rock if you can believe that. I landed pretty flat on my back and I am still 100% unsure and 100% amazed that my head DID NOT touch the ground.

How do you fall 6' flat on your back and NOT hit your head. Call it weird, but it was like a pillow was thrown under my head to protect it. I hurt BAD all over my body for days, my back was in serious pain, but my neck and head were just fine.

So I want to know, what is the deal? First I ask for protection from Carrie like something inside me knew I would need it that day, then today I worry about being eaten and dying from a bear attack while riding and minutes later I see a goddamn bear! WOW

No comments: