Monday, August 17, 2009

Toucan Sam I am..

Saturday night I'm fast asleep, dreaming... 3:30 I wake up and am lying there in the dark and my nose is smelling smoke. I had to lay there a few seconds wondering if I was still in a dream or if I was truly smelling fire smoke in my house! I woke up Derek and asked him "Hey do you smell smoke or is it just me" See the fan was on my side of the bed blowing straight at my face/body and the window to our bedroom is on the opposite side of the room as the fan.. so I was feeling very concerned at this point.

Derek says "yeah I smell it too" so we jump out of bed and are smelling it throughout the house as well, but no fire in our house so we go on the front porch.. a car happens to drive by and we can see a smog of smoke rolling up over the top of the back side of the shop and we start to panic a tiny bit and run back to the bedroom, get dressed quickly then Derek opens the shop to be sure it is not on fire.. No fire there..

So we walk down the street a little and can see the haze of smoke but cannot find a fire, so we jump in the truck (we had to drag the kiddos out of our bed, they were not too thrilled to be woken at 3:30am but as soon as we said "do you want to go for a ride", they woke up right now!) anyways, we jumped in the truck and drove the neighborhood trying to find a fire incase someone else hadnt woken up yet.. no fires anywhere..

It was very bizzarre. We think that someone had to have gotten up in the middle of the night and started a fire in their fireplace and maybe since it was first fire of the year, it was extra strong or something I dont know.. I just know my darn nose is like that of a bloodhound and if we are ever on fire, I may just get us up before the smoke alarms even go off!! :) Derek likes to tease me about my nose sensitivity, it seems to grow stronger every year. It was just a strange evening.

I spent the weekend painting the house.. only got about 1/3 of it done at this point but it's a great start. Derek was working on the shed as I worked on the house, thank goodness for IPods!! :) When Derek quit working on the shed, he started to help on the house.. Well, he was not doing a very good job. lol He was not putting the paint on thick enough so I was seeing I would have to go back over his areas entirely and he was not very careful with keeping the brown off the white edges, so I told him in an irritated tone with a smile, that if he wasnt going to do it right, just stop doing it. He walked around the corner to what I assumed was in the house. So I'm on the one side of the house grunting out loud every few seconds as I'm repainting his areas, I climb up the ladder, down the ladder, move the ladder.. grrr Then I get the ladder to the edge of the house and see out of the corner of my eye he is right there around the corner painting the side of the house (and not very well at that!) I smile and he says "Yeah I hear you grunting over there!" lol I just laughed and then I look at his work and said something like, if you arent going to do it right, then dont do it at all.. and then something about firing him. He wasnt too dissappointed I dont think.

It actually was probably all part of his plan. See he knows how anal I was being about painting the house, I was being very slow and meticulous about my paint job, I did not want to have to put a second coat on.. maybe minor touchups here/there is all that was required with my paintjob. So he probably did it halfass so that he would get fired and not have to deal with it.. I'm on to him, I know how guys work! :)

So I have about 1/3 or more of the house finished, it looks really good. I mean it's not perfect and if you stand up close you can find minor flaws in my paintjob, there is a point that my analness stops and says, good enough! :) But it has to be MY decision and not someone elses.. LOL But if you stand back, my paintjob looks flawless, LIKE ME!! hahaha

No comments: