Sunday, December 9, 2012

Willie or Willie Not..

That is still the question! 

I type that as I sit here on my porch at 9:30am in 40 degree weather, waiting for him to kick the barn!  lol  I attempted to do this yesterday, spent almost an hour outside in 37 degree weather, just waiting..  But the cold won out yesterday, I am a bit more prepared today.  The chains have been working, Willie does not stand and kick the wall anymore..  But he has figured out he can lean into the wall and scrape his leg up/down and still bang it around a bit.  So now we are on to option B....

!! Shock Therapy !!

Again, I am feeling more than barbaric, a bit evil.. sitting here almost smiling, waiting for him to misbehave so I can press the magic button.  Although he has not kicked the wall yet (the chains have been taken off for this experiment), but he was biting at Edgar a lot as he waited for his breakfast, so I was able to test the little zapper out on that bad behavior.  The collar has 1-127 levels, I started on 10, that did nothing, 15, 30, 45, 60.. all did nothing..  But 75 worked JUST FINE!  :)  I toned it down to 70.  I think he was feeling it at probably 60, but not enough. 

An now it is snowing!!  :)

So I have been stressed about Willie lately but I'm trying to change my perspective so I dont get to the point of giving up.  I have to tell myself to work through this.. because I do enjoy riding him.  His arena type training is very soft and he's fun to play with in that environment and he always does good out on the trail, better than expected.  I figure while he is still young and dumb, he'll just get the chain treatment when he is tied up to the trailer to keep him from kicking and bucking while tied and I'll continue to work on this barn kicking issue and see if we can resolve it.  Worst case scenario, he gets more work and is worth more down the road.. right!  lol

I have been getting in a lot more riding this winter than normal, its been nice to have a reason to get out.  :)  It can get so gloomy and rainy that you just dont want to do anything horse related, so having Suzi as a neighbor who's always up for an arena ride, has motivated my behind into getting out almost weekly, if not twice!  I am just so darned happy for Edgar and Suzi, she's doing great with him, he is happy and Suzi's friend rode him the other day and got him to lope over and over again.. YEAH!  That might seem silly, but Edgar just doesnt lope often, especially under saddle.. I think i've loped him maybe 5 times since I've had him.. seriously!  He's awkward getting up into the lope, but he did it, so I'm hopeful now that Suzi can grow with Edgar in the future.  What a great match this has been, I honestly dont mind paying some to keep the 3rd horse when I feel this good watching them together! 

Oh the cold is settling in.. Willie is eating quietly and I'm freezing..  I might have to go inside soon...

Christmas is 2 weeks away and we are not even close to prepared..  Havent bought anyone a darn thing, havent crafted our gift exchange gifts yet and today I just want to sit and be lazy..  Last night was our horse club Christmas Party..  It was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the social aspect.. Unfortunately dinner was not good..  Derek had prime rib, which I thought was tastey (he reluctantly gave me a bite) but for my chicken dish, I expected a breast, but got a thigh?  It was dark meat, fatty with the skin on, no bone, but I actually thought it was kinda nasty!  For $30, I expect the best part of the chicken, the white breast...  Not the cheap cut..  So I'm dissappointed.. I ate it because I was hungry, but picked it apart pretty good.  Which is too bad, cuz I LOVE the location and for dinner/lunch any other time, their food is really good.

Well I think I must head in to the house.. although its not snowing any more, my toes are turning blue..  I will just have to listen for barn kicking instead of watching... 

No comments: