Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Great Weekend Recap!!

For over a year now, I've been wanting a bigger trailer.. heck its probably been atleast 2 yrs..  but it never seemed within reach.. I dont just have thousands of dollars laying around to go buy one and I certainly couldnt take the risk of selling my trailer and then "hoping" to find another rather quickly.  We had contemplated buying brand new, putting down a large downpayment and making payments, but when we lost Oakley, there went that down payment, now its needed to buy a new horse.  And its just not easy finding decent used trailers in the price range we wanted, everything was rust buckets & aweful!

So in the midst of shopping for a horse, I occassionally was also looking for a deal on a decent 3-horse trailer on CL..  What do you know.. I found one!!  From the pictures posted, it looked like a very nice clean trailer with everything we wanted.. roof rack, solid back door, 3 stalls, same stall dimensions as ours to fit our big boys and a fully enclosed tack room.. but it had some bonuses..  an extra long tongue (no more extended hitch for hauling with the camper), padded dividers, solid divider between the heads, hay bags and it even came with a brush caddy with brushes, a helmet and a nice leather hole punch!!  When I initially called, someone else was going to look at it but alas, they did not buy it and we jumped all over that..  drove down to Bonney Lake on Saturday with cash in hand, loved everything about it, and drove it home!  Especially loved the price, we got a GREAT GREAT deal on this trailer, even after the new tires we just put on it, we still are into it about $1,000 less than we both feel it is worth.  It is older, its a 1997 Circle J, but it has been very well cared for with minimal rust.  I just cant believe it.. I look at it every day and smile because it is something we have wanted and needed for a long time!!
Now we (okay Derek) will do some paint work to our original trailer and hopefully sell it sooner than later so we can recoop most of that money..  Thank Goodness for Income Tax Return Cash!!!  :)  Oh and thanks to an owner that didnt realize what she had..   It helped make this all possible..

Sunday, we were supposed to go look at a horse, but.....

Well we didnt even make it up to see horse #2 before we were "educated" on the truth about that horse.

I was fairly excited about this mare, she had the trail experience we were looking for and in general, sounded like a nice horse.  She was up in Sedro Wooley, and we were set to go up on Sunday this past weekend.  Saturday night we went to some friends house for a BBQ and got to talkin with them..  they seem to know a lot of people, so I asked them if they happened to know the owner of this horse and/or the horse!  Sure enough, they are personal friends with the guy, have camped with him, ridden with this horse and heard the stories about her..  Apparently it seems to be a running joke how much "mare magic" they give this horse before every ride and around camp, the guy complains all the time about her bucking problems!  Well, I'll be darned......  I do recall asking if she had any bucking issues, and somehow the answer to me was NO!   So I emailed the guy and politely told him we didnt feel she was the right horse for us.  I probably should have told him off for lying to me, he doesnt realize what a small world/horse community this really is.. but I also didnt want to throw my friends under the bus either.. so I let it go.  Cant help Stupid!

No comments: