Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nothing like being caught...

in a hail storm! The day was cloudy yesterday and although the clouds did appear as potentially thunderous, I wanted to take advantage of the "nice" weather and lunge the boys for some needed excersize. Derek met me over at Roger's place, the plan was for him to lunge for 15 minutes at the trot then I would lunge Red since we had just one lungeline and whip on hand. After about 5 minutes or so I began to wonder if we would have the dry weather for much longer, I better come up with a plan! So I rigged up my dogs retractable leash with another leash and proceeded to lunge Red with that.. lol

Actually the retractable leash was a great idea... I should invent one for just this use for horses, it would need to be a little more durable for a 1000 pound horse vs 40 lb dog! ;) After a few minutes, the sky opened up and I was very thankful to have my hooded sweater on. Derek worked Edgar a few more minutes to reach his 15 minute mark then went and stood under a 12" roof awning while I continued to lunge Red in the pouring hailstorm for another 10 minutes. Red was not a happy camper about it, he looked beautiful though all slick and wet. Derek just stood there trying to keep the hail from hitting him in the face and we both laughed alot about what was going on! It was crazy but for some odd reason, I actually REALLY enjoyed lunging Red in the hail.. There was just something really elegant and peaceful about it, the positive attitude, watching Derek try to shield himself, shaking his head with a grin on his face, laughing at ourselves, it was for me one of those moments in time that I felt at peace with all that was around me.

Before the storm, we had spoken with Roger who indicated my little WhooDeeKnees had escaped the day before :( Bummer! They did what I thought was unthinkable for them, they climbed on some wood (that part I knew they would do) but then they jumped over the fence off the wood (that part completely suprised me). Roger moved the woodpile, and although I am certain they wouldnt have found another way out, I would rather take them home than have Roger & Diana worry and fret about it. Those damn goats! They were 100% PISSED OFF that I led them out in the thundering (still 15 minutes later) hailing storm!! Thank goodness I still had the goat cage on the truck, we loaded them up and drove them in the hail to my parents place. As soon as they were unloaded, they ran to the corral to get in the stall for shelter.. lol There is plenty of grass in the square corral for now, so not sure I will try to "pimp" them out to another home.. we'll see. Mom/Dad plan to re-fence their property completely, within the next month or two.. After that happens, we are buying more goats!!!

lol.. I know I bitch about the bastards in one paragraph and by the end of the paragraph I am indicating I want 2 more of the WhooDeeKnees!! :) (and we have names already picked out!)

No comments: