Monday, May 3, 2010

Softball and horses..

Didnt think I would be saying those two words in the same weekend anytime soon! Last week Kevin (coach of RCC softball) called and said he was short some guys for a tournament this past weekend in Federal Way and wondered if Derek was free. He felt bad for calling and asking, but he thought it was worth a try. Well we changed our riding plans then from Saturday to Sunday and drove down to Celebration Park for a day of ball....
One of the positive things about this tournament that set us in the mindset and direction of saying "yes" was that the first game was not til 12:40 which meant we had time to sleep in AND go visit George/Rachel before the games! We had not met little miss Emily yet, who was born about 2 months ago; it was great to spend an hour with them Saturday morning before we had to head to the tournament. Emily is a doll and we are really happy that she seems to complete their family.. We will miss camping/fishing with our friends this year but look forward to the years to come.

The softball guys did not know we were coming down, so when they saw me first, they assumed we were there to watch... When I indicated that oh no.. Derek was playing, they all lit up and had to check him out in uniform for themselves! :) His arm was rusty to throw, his bones were crackin' with every step, and he forgot the time/labor involved with just getting his uniform on and all the 'gear' that goes with it, including knee braces and pads and such. lol

He played in all 5 games! Pitching 1/2 the time, playing a little first base as well and then a few innings in the dugout. His pitching was top notch as always, I dont think he will ever loose that feel of throwing the perfect pitch. They won their first game, 10 minute break.. won their second game... hour break.. won their third game... 15 minute break... won their fourth game... 15 minute break... Won the Final game to WIN the tournament!! :) Of course I volunteered to keep score, it's what I do! I enjoyed being at the park and watching Derek and the guys again, there is a part of me that really misses it. We both did not miss the long drive and long day and feeling of being exhausted afterwards... although I know Derek was a lot more exhausted than I was! Derek was given an All-Star shirt for coming out of retirement to play after 2 years off, he pitched great games that definately helped them win.

We talked quite a bit before the tournament about how we both felt about him playing again. I would support his decision if he opted to get back into ball.. I would never stop him from doing what he loves. But I have to say I was really worried that once he played again he would realize what he was missing out on and we would have to give up this new life we have taken on the past year or more. We had a great life with softball, but he and I both have really enjoyed the camping and fishing and riding we are now doing and I am not ready to loose that! After 5 games of play... there is no more concern that he is ready and willing to go back to that lifestyle anytime soon! As much as he loves ball and misses the guys and playing, his body just is not feeling the same vibe..

As we drove home, he realized it might have been a mistake to play so hard, run so hard... By the time we reached the truck to drive home (a 5 minute walk) he was already stiff, sore and ready to fall asleep! I was worried he would be too stiff to ride his horse the next day, as we had already made plans with Shannon to ride with her and her son Clay on Sunday at Mann Rd.

But he sucked it up and was able to get on his jeans and boots. He did need a little extra help getting his foot in the stirrup once he got on, but otherwise the ride helped loosen up his back. His legs are mostly what are sore. We rode up to the lookout over looking the Sultan valley, what a great place to stop and eat and just take in nature and the surrounding land. It was really great to get out with Shannon and talk with her, she is still super excited about Oakley and will be listing him very soon. I appreciate that she is taking great care of him and that she sees the potential in him that I always knew was there. She rode him on the ride, what a gorgeous horse I own!! I just love that horse... :)

Red and Edgar have been doing pretty good at their new pastures. The ground is too wet up at the top side, so we moved them down to the lower section (still seperated). I think with all the grass and wetness of the ground their feet were a little more tender than normal. I will continue to check them daily for health issues, it is a lot of grass they are on and I still worry. So far so good. I also moved the goats to the same place, they had finished their duties in Mukilteo and were ready to come home. Roger who owns the pastures, offered to let the goats come stay with him, so we are seeing how that goes. They have great fencing for goats, but it is older fencing and although I know it will be safe/secure, I just dont want the boys standing on the fencing or rubbing against it too much.. so I am watching that as well, I dont want to take advantage of the generosity of Roger & Diana! :)
Here's a pic of Edgar with the goats before I moved Edgar to the lower dryer pasture.

And then Red on the other side, looking at Edgar as though he is insane for allowing these goats to be so close to him!
And of course this is the chaos I speak of when referring to the goats being mischevious and causing issues with fencing. They will do anything to get to the greener side of things.

No comments: