Friday, October 10, 2008

Signs of Fall/Winter

How do I know fall/winter is here? Well, the first sign is the duck calls that tend to rotate from room to room in our house... and then there's the times when I hear the calls being used in the house, outside the house, in the truck.... :) I know fall/winter is around the corner when I hear and see those calls, opening day is this weekend, so it is now back to the season of early to bed on Fri &/or Sat night for Derek so he can awake at some un-reasonable hour to go sit in the cold, wet, rainy, sleety, maybe snowy weather to HOPE some ducks and/or geese fly by. lol

The second sign is the changing of my horse's haircoat... it's getting thicker by the day! He is entering that warm fuzzy stage that I love.. Horses smell so good in the winter, call me weird, but I love the smell of a fuzzy horse. :) I'm planning to go riding on Sunday with the horse club, YEAH! I have only been on I think 1 club ride this year, so I am excited to get out and ride with some friends again. It gets very lonely going out alone all the time. We are going to Lords Hill in Snohomish, which is great since that is in my backyard practically and will not cost me a fortune to drive there. Lords Hill is where I like to go when I ride alone, it is a very well used trail system and the ride to the river is my favorite. It is very peaceful down there and this time of the year you can count on fishermen down there in boats, so you might get to watch someone reel in a salmon. It is pretty shallow too, so I like to wade my horse in the water, although he probably doesnt like it much, he tolerates my needs pretty well.

The next sign, FROST! brrrrrr We had our first frost of the season this morning! I was excited when we built the house, that I would have a garage to park my "car" in so that I would not need to pre-warm up my car and de-frost windows.. dang if that plan is all shot to heck now that we own 2 trucks that dont fit in the garage! lol But I love the cold anyways, I always forget during the nice summer days how much I love this time of year. The trees are absolutely gorgeous right now (well not the ones at my house) but the ones going over the mountain passes are so beautiful and full of life/color.

No comments: