Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oakley Update

Just wanted to give a quick update on Oakley.. talked to Luanne (his trainer) last night, I talk to her a couple times a week and Oakley is doing GREAT!! She tells me she loves training him, that he is a great horse and praises how well he is coming along.. makes me feel good to have a nice solid horse that others can appreciate, especially a trainer! She has been letting her 7 year old daughter ride him (with my permission) and he is a perfect gentleman for her. Derek is going to have another lesson tonight, they are doing well together and I'm excited for the future rides. Oakley's been in training for almost 2 months, he has about a week left to go. He is ready to come home, I am looking forward to getting on him myself and "playing" around with what he knows now! :)

Anyways.. I just wanted to take a minute to brag about our Oakley, I put a lot of time and hours and energy into his groundwork and I just love that it has paid off. He's not perfect, he is still young and will probably have his moments, but I'm 100% glad he is back home with me and not still out on his lease. Things seem to always work out the way they are supposed to...
Oh and Derek has 35.5 hours of in-saddle time for the year and I'm at 32.5 hours.. YES he is beating me!!! He gets the advantage of taking lessons while I watch him ride, so I need to find a way to catch up on my hours.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

This may sound like a silly question... But are horse riding hours kinda like pilot's hours? Or do you keep track of them just for fun?

Derek and Piper Fecht said...

We keep track of our hours just for fun.. Since Derek started riding this year, he set a goal of the # of hours he wanted to put in the saddle, so we now keep track to see how much time we actually spend riding. Its fun to have this friendly competition going and our horse club now keeps a log of the members hours to compare with :)