Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saved by the... (not the bell!)

Saved by the.. Bunny!!

We opted to do some yard work today vs going riding although it was a perfect day for a ride! I was motivated to work on the yard, we just bought a cart to go behind our lawn mower and I wanted to use it, I had put it together on Saturday afternoon.

I was in the far back area of our yard, picking up branches and I noticed that Russell was being very curious and then he was following something.. so I look closer and he is following a baby bunny which quickly ducked into a patch of grass. I then noticed 2 more very cute little babies hopping along for shelter! I called to Derek and he picked them up and we put them in a box to figure out what to do.. I called the feed store and they indicated to me that they sounded far too small to be ready to be on their own, so Derek prodded the ground where they came out of their hole and OMGosh.. 3 more jumped out of the hole! So there were 6 little cute baby bunnies.

Here's Derek holding one

We put them all back into their little hole, which by the way was tiny.. I dont even know how the mom fit in there! One of them jumped out of the den into the grass patch. I had a great pic of one in the den, but the darn blog keeps rotating the picture sideways! Not sure what that is about

We finally decided to just leave them and I would just pick up sticks elsewhere (there were plenty more to get) and hope that mommy bunny would notice their home had been ramshackled somewhat and move them out of the yard. The dogs by this time had caught a whiff of them and wanted to completely disrupt their lives, so we locked the dogs out of the yard for the rest of the day and continued on with my yardwork. BTW later in the early evening I went to check on the bunny den, and they were gone... I'm pretty sure momma came along and saw her home was touched by humans and moved the babies. whew!

As we looked at the big mound of dirt/weeds in our backyard, we started to notice a lot of holes in the dirt, here are a couple pics of the holes and then the mound.

The bunnies we found today were not in this mound, they were behind the mound almost to the fence. They actually were very lucky, I drove the lawnmower within probably 1.5 feet of running over their home before I knew they were there!


We decided that we would have to definately landscape around some of those holes and maybe rename the mound.. "Hippity Hop Hill" or "Bunny Hill"... who knows, the holes are probably mole holes, but we like to think a colony of bunnies live inside our mound :) Weird thing is, the dogs have never really seemed at all interested in any of those holes, maybe its just cuz they have never really spent much time around that mound to notice that living creatures live in it.

Oh and some good news this evening.. my gramma is doing sooooo much better than when I went to visit her. She is smiling, eating, laughing, attempting to commincate with her jibberish and apparently she has even said some clear words lately, she has spoken atleast 2 times with distinct clear short statements. According to my aunt and to one of the employees at the home, she said "What the Hell" when her finger was poked with a needle and then this weekend when my aunts fiance asked if she thought he was good looking, she said "Oh yes!"

Amazing! I cant even describe how frail and sad and lonely she looked when I visited her last, it is so encouraging that she is doing this much better. She has not spoken clear words in years, apparently some of her medication has been eliminated which sounds like has been a great thing for my gramma! :) According to my aunt, hospice says that there is still danger of her choking or getting pnemonia and that she is still in a fragile state and may not last long, but the family and friends have a little more quality time left with her now. Here's a pic of her taken this weekend with my aunt.. I am just amazed, a couple weeks ago I said goodbye to her, hospice was called in and the next day she started to improve and is now looking this good!

No comments: