Thursday, April 2, 2009

100th Post!!!

Today is my 100th post.. and amazingly there are still people that come to my site to read up. :) Hopefully I am atleast a little bit entertaining.

We survived our camping trip this past weekend. We might not have been 100% dry all the time, but it was a good weekend just the same. On our drive down, we of course had to stop by Cabela's for a visit and the guys decided to get a temporary clam diggin permit since it was supposed to be a great weekend to dig. The campground was alright and we had a pretty good setup once we got down there. Friday late afternoon we had this nice fire going, I was wondering just how long this decent weather was going to last.
We had decided to take the kids, we still were not 100% convinced it was a good idea, but we thought that if anything, they would provide heat for us while we slept. And suprisingly, they did really good. A little whining and barking (from Scout) when we left them alone in the camper and we certainly had to keep the garbage bag up high as she enjoyed tearing the bag open and spreading trash while we were out and about. :) As we sat around the fire, I left the curtains open so she could see us.... And dont tease me because my kids have clothes on.. it was cold and wet and they needed the clothes to stay warm, they were cold w/o them on!
The bummer about our camper is there is no poddy inside it, which is alright cuz I hate those camper bathrooms, you cant even move in there! But at 3 am when you have to pee.... well off to the restroom across the way is how it works. We awoke on Saturday to rain of course. Lumpy rain at that! We were on the beach by about 8:30 lookin for clams. I was the only one with rain pants on and a poncho, my big red one that makes me look like a tomatoe. And NO, there are no pics of me! :)
Derek's in the middle of a dig and the water takes his bucket away..
He pulls up his tube...
And he gets his first clam
The tide was slowly coming in, every now/then a small wave a few inches deep would drift in and we'd stop and wait for it to receed. Well after a while, this wave comes in and I realize it's a little deeper than the others, so I turn my back to the ocean and next thing I feel is this wave is approaching my butt, water is splashing all around me, the water pushed/forced its way in through the zipper on my rain pants and I was being pushed forward.. so I started to run! And run is what everyone did! lol We all got soaked.. okay well I stayed fairly dry, just a small amount of water in my jeans, whereas everyone else's legs and butt were soaked and their boots were filled with water, my feet... bone dry because I was smart enough to wear my rain pants over the top of my boots.

One of the girls who is just 6, she was pushed face first into the water, her little bucket was drifting on up the shoreline with her jacket in it, while she was trying to swim/crawl to get out of the water, our friends daughter Samantha, one of her boots went flying off her foot when the water hit, so Rachel was holding her up in the air. It was just this huge wave that was completely unexpected and came out of nowhere.. Of course the 2 little girls were crying and very upset, wet and soaked and freezing. I took this pic of our crew right after the wave. Rachel and her mother in law and the 2 girls went back to the campers while I stayed with the guys and got some shots of them out searching for clams.

Derek did get 2 clams, it was not a great day for digging. Opening day actually was the day before and I think the clams got smart and figured out how not to get caught by Saturday!

Jeff got 2 clams as well, but this is the size of clams he found.. hahaha
George ended up with a crappy (unsealed) digger, so he didnt get anything, he spent the morning looking for sand-dollars instead.
When we returned to our campers, we all napped for a couple hours and awoke to on again/off again rain and the wind was starting to kick in.. It would be semi sunny for 10 minutes but extremely windy and then for 15 minutes it would down pour, then back to just plain windy.. this continued on all night long! The wind was howling, it was kinda cool to sit in the camper and listen to it, being nice and warm with a dog in our bed. Derek slept on the top and I slept on the bottom, it worked pretty well.

Of course we awoke on Sunday to a beautiful day! It was nice packing up in the sun and not the rain. Here's just a couple other pics of our kids...

We got home around 3:30, thought really hard about saddling up the boys for a ride, but decided to do other things. Unpacked the camper, watched a little TV, burned some wood in our yard and then I looked at the horses! They were literally DIS-GUS-TING! I had opened up the fencing so the horses had the pasture and the sacrifice gravel area while we were away. The problem is the pasture area is mostly muck! Some dry spots, but those 2 boys had found all the mud to be had and they were caked in it and it was dried. It was so gross. I pulled them out and tried to brush them and decided they needed more than a brushing and since the sun was still barely out, I did what I had to do and HOSED them off! The mud just ran off. Yuck

Our bed felt pretty darn good that night! We are looking forward to our next camping adventure, the camper is stocked and ready to go. :)

Oh and we are really trying to get into working out.. Derek has a goal of weight loss since he is trying to pursue a new career in law enforcement or border patrol, so he wants to be at a certain weight by June when he starts the testing process. I am still swimming twice a week and then the other 3 days I will try to be in the gym. We re-joined the YMCA in monroe. Derek always says "Do you want to go to the Gym?" My answer is always NO, but then I say "Well I suppose I'll go" He'll say "Dont sound so enthused" and my response is "I never want to go the gym, but I'll go cuz I need to go!" I admire those that LOVE to work out. I LOVE to swim, but doing the bikes and the elypticals and treadmills... ugh

No comments: