Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The drowning Story

I am going to share the laughing/drowning story as told by my cousin Shana and then my version will be at the bottom! :) We were camping at Salmon La Sac outside of Cle Elum, WA with our 4H group I think it was. 4H was a lot different back in the day, atleast our club was because most of the parents were backcountry riders, so our adventures were out on the trails. Enjoy...

OK, the river story... Shelly and I (age 12 or 13) were swimming our horses in the river. Shelly's horse went under a downed tree that stretched way out into the water. In doing so, Shelly got swept off of the horse and into the river.

I, very gracefully and intentionally of course, dismounted and swam to her in an attempt to save her because she was sort of freaking out. I got her to another downed tree that was at river level and connected to the shore. Each of us was on a seperate side of the tree so we were facing each other (I'm not remembering how we were on different sides).

Anyway, as we clung to the tree/log, her face went blank. She was staring right at me but she looked dazed. Next thing I knew, she disappeared! She lost her grip and floated under the tree and past me. I'm looking for her, yelling for her but I don't see her. Finally, out of nowhere, she pops up from under the water, standing in only about 2 feet of water but about 30 yards down river. I floated down to her and "drug" her by the hand back up stream and back to our log.

I told her to shimmy along the log back up to the shore but she was frozen in fear! I could've made it but I wasn't going to leave my friend there! Finally, we hear something from the shore. Perhaps someone to save us? I look up and it's my cousin Piper. Sitting on a horse, LAUGHING HER ASS OFF!

Shelly's yelling "Help! Help!" And you were just laughing hysterically! Just sitting there, horseback, laughing your ass off! I yell at you "Go get help!" and I don't know if you couldn't hear me or what but seems like you sat there laughing for a long, long time.

To this day I don't remember if you went and got Dave or if he just happened to be there, or if he heard the cries for help! But out comes Dave Huber on Rosie (his horse at the time) and he rides out to us, puts Shelly, maybe both of us, on his horse and he grabs Rosie's tail and Rosie took us all back to shore (maybe he had to come back for me? Or maybe I climbed the log to shore? I'm not actually remembering how I got out, but I was never really worried for myself, I knew I could get out!)

Either way, as I remember it, you watched the entire rescue from shore through slanted, teary, laughing eyes! It doesn't sound as funny in type, but it's one of my favorite stories! Although my very favorite Piper story I think will always be the gas siphon/lawnmower story!

Piper Back In: Okay, so my version... I cannot really recall the situation vividly in my head like Shana can, all I remember is that I was 8 or 9 years old and it was FRICKIN HILARIOUS!! lololololololol

As a side note so you dont all think I am the worst person in the world, remember I was only about 8 years old so I was not old enough to comprehend the seriousness of the situation and to this day... We both laugh about it! The 'river' may be more like a swift moving big creek, or maybe it is a river.. either way it is a shallow river at many points. I have since redeemed myself in stressful situations and can remain calm and collected, I do not laugh in the face of disaster! :) Shana has held that potential drowning against me all my life and we enjoy recounting our varied versions.. Although I must say I dont have much defense because my version only recalls "laughing my ass off" as she recalls!

The lawnmower story is another funny one. Heck Shana & I have quite a few funny stories together.... some should be told and others will remain in our own heads! :)

No comments: