Monday, July 26, 2010

more doggy business!

Got the message from Jim today (he is the breeder of our Boykin pup) and his female just came into heat!! Which means.... our little "Cooper" will be coming home just before Thanksgiving! They say it takes 6 months for a puppy to be fully potty trained, well Ellie will be exactly 6 months old when Cooper comes home, so lets hope the 6 month mark is true because I dont think I could handle trying to potty train 2 dogs at one time. :)

We are getting very excited about Cooper, I love having the puppy energy around, but whew the potty training is tiring.. She is fairly content staying outside on the front porch, but I feel bad for Russell having to be left outside all the time, so I try to allow her in the house as often as I can.. which basically means not much ability to do anything else while she is in the house. She pees every 30-45 minutes when she is awake/active and if you dont get her outside before she has to potty, she'll just drop a damn squat on the living room floor!

Saturday was a bad piddle-on-the-floor day.. she pood once Friday night and then peed 3 times on Saturday and it was NOT because I was not paying attention, she just goes from playing to peeing in a matter of a second! I was frustrated a little, I must admit. I needed a break from puppy, so was glad to get to leave the house for a few hours and head off to my cousin Shana's 40th Bday BBQ/Party.

I had spent most of Saturday working on more videos of Oakley. We went out Thursday evening and shot more video of him and then I spent probably 6 hours Saturday compressing things down and finished with uploading 4 new videos to youtube! So now there are 5 total and possibly will do one more trail video in the future if need be. There has been a lot of interest in him from our online ads and these videos.. some promising potential buyers.. Derek spent Saturday out dragging the pasture, exposing all the rocks and sticks we need to pick up over the next couple weeks before the grass takes over again.. All the cross fencing was pulled up so we are getting closer to putting in our permanent fencing.

Sunday evening I saw some light in the potty tunnel.. for the first time Ellie twice walked over to the screen door to the back porch, Derek jumped up both times and let her out and she immediately went out in the yard to potty! It was fantastic!! Yes my life has resorted to being overly joyous at the sight of dog piss/poop.. LOL What the hell has become of me...

I have to remind myself she is only 8weeks old.. 8 weeks old.. 8 weeks old.. and stop for a second and take a step back because potty training does not happen overnight and I was crazy for even thinking we were gonna have that perfect dog that NEVER went in the house!! :) Russell has yet to start "playing" with her, but he continues to allow her to now bite at his face, she will run under him, she steals his ball from him, she runs up sideways to him and pushes her body under his face, she's curling up next to him in the crate.... Soon, soon he will fully appreciate this gift we have given him! lol

In the meantime, the horses continue to enjoy their vacation! August will be a much better month for us to get back in the saddle.

No comments: