Monday, December 29, 2008

GRRR.. I'm so frustrated!

The meltdown has begun and as predicted, it is a MESS out there! This sloppy, slushy shit is harder to drive in/through/on/around than just plain 'ole snow and ice! We pulled into mom/dad's driveway in 4-wheel drive just like we have for the past 2 weeks and we just bogged down and stopped! Had to put the truck in 4-wheel LOW to get unstuck and even then we barely made it, this was Saturday. Today, I can get in/out but not w/o spinning tires. My poor parents were supposed to have their septic pumped today (it backed up on Christmas Eve with 25 people at their house!) But the pump truck refused to come in their driveway. It would be nice if it would just rain so much it melted driveways, even our driveway is tough to deal with.

So why am I frustrated? Mud and Muck and Slop always gets to me when it comes to my horses, but usually it is Spring when I start feeling the pressure of needing to do something with my horse to alleviate their situation. I had moved the horses to Julie's old place when my shelter collapsed, I now need to move them again. I will be buying a new temporary shelter to put back at my parents, but they'll be going back up to muck... and when I think about my place, grrr.... pastures are not even fenced! I am feeling all this pressure to figure out a barn situation.

I am slightly excited as I have a small glimmer of light in the tunnel, I found a modular 4-stall barn on CL today for a VERY good price! I just hope it is not in high demand so I can possibly buy it. We would then just bring in a load or two of gravel to create a level spot and set the barn on top of the gravel. It would be portable too, so it would not be a permanent structure and no permit would be required.. It is not exactly what we want, but it would work for the price I can afford.. barely afford! :)

sigh

1 comment:

Madelyn Kate said...

Piper - I'm with you on how much this melting slush sucks! My horses are going to be knee deep in mud as soon as the rest of the snow melts. Poor Bandit is dealing with a hoof abscess and it's really hard to manage soaking/bandaging in this gunk. Good luck figuring out your shelter situation...I don't envy you having to do it this time of year!!!