Monday, March 16, 2009

Cinamon Rolls & Riding

This past weekend was the annual Cascade Horse Club Cinamon Roll Ride. The tradition started a LONG time ago, I was pretty young. The club would have a breakfast ride, all gathering to eat a nice hearty meal inwhich Grandma Ollie would bake her famous cinamon rolls. After everyone was done eating, they'd head out on a horse ride. I dont know how many years these rides went on for, but I did go on the ones that started at my aunt Julie's place. The breakfast ride ended for many years until I mentioned bringing it back.

The first ride (3 years ago) we purchased cinamon rolls and rode out at the Pilchuck Tree Farm. That was the first club ride I took Edgar on, at the time I was just borrowing him to decide if I wanted to buy him. It rained a little and the rolls just didnt cut it! The following year I decided we needed home-baked rolls so mom made a batch of rolls for the ride and again we rode in the rain, but this time full of real rolls :)

So this year, the week prior to the ride it was BEAUTIFUL out! The weather was clear skies, sunny and just very nice spring weather... Friday mom and I spent the day making the rolls.. nice and goooey!!! Derek and I went to bed Friday night thinking... "if it's raining, we are not riding. We will deliver the rolls, socialize and go home." Saturday morning I woke up, it is pouring out :( I get a phone call that everyone is still showing up but with no horses. I'm thinking okay, no problem. Then Derek decides if we are going to drive all the way up there, we are riding! lol So we bundled up and headed out the door, although I'm sure the horses thought we were nuts.

I didnt count, but I think about 20 people showed up JUST to eat those rolls! Everyone was standing around in the rain, having a great time and sure enough, we were the ONLY ones to have brought our horses! lol After some eating/socializing, we saddled up and told everyone to enjoy the rolls, we were riding. We were accused of being young enough to have the gumption to ride in the rain! It rained about 50% of the ride, 25% was drizzling & 25% was actually rain-drizzle free. We had a nice 2.5 hour ride, a little slick and we did run into snow in places, but we chose our trails carefully to avoid lots of muck and snow. When we returned, our trailer was the ONLY trailer in the parking lot which is a very rare sight for this parking lot on a Saturday afternoon. I was really glad we rode.

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning and working on laundry. 7 loads later and we are still not 100% caught up! lol The spare bed is stacked almost to the ceiling of all our clean clothes!! I told Derek his job this week is to get that stack put on hangers into our closet while I spend the week doing the deep cleaning of dusting, mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms... I'm having a girls "Passion Party" on Friday night and I want the house as spotless as I can get it. It needs it anyways...

OH AND I am soooo HAPPY! We finally just sucked it up and bought cabinets for our laundry room!!! I now have real cabinets in there and I just love my laundry room now. It's funny how a simple cabinet can change your perspective on a room or your house in general.

No comments: