Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall has Arrived

Now that fall is officially here, the motivation to get back out and ride is hitting hard! :) This crisp weather is perfect riding weather, so for the next few months, I hope to add quite a few hours to my saddle hours.

First off, the signs that fall is here:
1... The thermostat in my house was changed from "off" setting to timed temperature control. Waking up to a 52 degree house Sunday morning, was a tad bit too cold! We dont have it set too high yet, 60 when we are home 55 while we sleep and are away at work, I'm not 100% ready to pay full price for a really nice warm house!!

2... Our first Frost of the year happened Saturday morning. :) We are experiencing typical fall weather, 30's to low 40's at night, high 50's to low 60's during the day.. What GREAT weather.

One can actually get motivated to work on outdoor projects in this weather. We spent yesterday building the awning on the shed, got it 75% done, will finish it this week. Once the shed/awning are done, we can move some things out of the barn that belong in the shed, get the barn cleaned out so we can prepare to bring the horses home this month. :) I am VERY excited to get the boys back home... I miss spending time brushing the horses in the barn while they are eating dinner. I wish my fencing was done so we could have the goats home too, due time due time..

We took the horses out Saturday morning to Lords Hill for a ride. We bought a new saddle for Derek (we had sold his other saddle to a lady in CA) and were anxious to get it out on Edgar for Derek to try the saddle and the horse! Derek and Edgar had a fantastic ride, although we only rode for about 2 hours, he felt very comfortable on him and is eager to get out again on him! Yippy!!!! Which means that officially Oakley is now my main riding horse and Edgar is Derek's.

It sounds like Blackie Smalls owner may not be doing much riding next year on him, so if that is the case, we may see if Steve/Angela are interested in letting us lease him again because at this point with Derek & Shana riding now, we could use a 3rd horse.. but you know what that means... we'd need to get a 3 horse trailer, which if things go well over the winter and we can set some cash aside, we will try to upgrade.

Duck/Goose hunting season starts up here in about a week, which means I'll be spending one day on the weekends to myself while my man is out shootin dinner.... (well not really dinner, Yuck, I dont eat the birds) I am looking forward to those days as they are great days to get household chores and projects done (I work harder when Derek is not around..lol) AND more time spent with Shana in the saddle!!!

Life's Good.... for now :)

No comments: