Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Annual Weekend of Hay is Finally over..

well almost over! :) Thursday we picked up my friends flatbed trailer (Thanks Amber & Jerod!!) Friday we drove to Spokane after work, had dinner with Dereks nephews Rick & Rob and their wives, Saturday Derek golfed while I spent it with Toni, Saturday night we went to the car races to watch Darryl race, Sunday morning we loaded up hay, Sunday ALL day we drove home (due to a 20+ mile 4 hour car accident on I90), got home at 10pm, worked Monday, unloaded 5 tons of hay into the barn after work on Monday, Derek had to go BACK to work after he unloaded the hay, and then tonight we are driving the trailer back up to Anacortes... So MAYBE tomorrow evening we can just go straight home after work and not have to do this or do that, we can just plop our asses on the couch, maybe cook a homecooked meal for the first time in over a week and just relax! :)

The trip with our hay this year was a little hairy! We had a nice flatbed trailer that easily handled the 5 tons of hay, however we discovered it's not exactly the best type of trailer to use for hay, the way it was set up it put a lot of tongue weight on our truck which had us in a V shape driving home, PLUS we realized AFTER we were on the road, that we probably had our truck overloaded by about 3,000 pounds and the weight was also over the ball/hitch rating!! AND our hay was loaded a hair crooked.. Lets just say with all this going on, it was a tense, stressful, sometimes arguing, LONG drive home! BUT the good news, we made it home safely, Derek & I are still talking to eachother, no flat tires, no loss of hay, nothing caught on fire, the hay is in the barn safe and sound (thanks to the help of Ted on that by the way, oh and my dads Awesome Supervisory Skills!) lol

I am hoping now that this is all done and finally taken care of until next year, my stomach will go back to normal, I think it was overstressed, I always hate having to haul hay across the state. Next year we might just take our small trailer and make 2 trips, ease up the load a little. It's really hard to not go all the way to Spokane to get hay, when I'm getting it at $65/ton! Its just plain worth the drive and hassle unfortunately...

The only bad thing about this trip is that I picked up the last of this type of hay from the farmer, so unfortunately as we unloaded it into the barn, we found 7 bales with a layer of slight mold on them, so I'm listing those bales on CL as Cow Hay. I could scrape the bales and I'm sure they'd be fine, it's just a bummer cuz 7 bales is almost 1/2 a ton, thats a lot of hay to have to give up but I think I have 1-2 tons more than I really needed anyways :(

No comments: