Sunday, September 6, 2009

Who Stabs Themself in the Back of the Hand?

I do!! ;(

I was clearing out the dishwasher on Thurs (had the day off) so I was home alone and our new filet knife, you know the VERY sharp one that we just got from Cutco, well I was trying to retract the blade and it just wouldnt budge so I was being pretty dumb and in the midst of my lack of judgement I guess, I actually stabbled the back of my hand between my knuckles, its a very soft area apparently! I'd say my cut was 1/2 inch wide and it was just pumping out blood at a very fast rate.. I was a bit concerned that I cut some sort of artery (I know, there are no main arteries in your hands) but in the moment and with all the blood, I was close to hyperventillating and/or panicking. I put a papertowel on it and finally it slowed enough to put a bandage on it. What a dumbass I am! I mean, who does that...

I told Derek that maybe some day I might actually want to start hunting for duck, maybe other hunting as well, I'm migrating that direction I guess but I'm scared to death that my clumsiness will interfere particularly while dealing with a shotgun! I know how to shoot the darn thing and am smart enough to know how to properly handle it, but what if I did a dumb thing?? Hmmmm... will have to think long and hard before I venture into hunting, which wouldnt be anytime this year anyways.

I got in a nice ride on Oakley on Friday, he is doing pretty well. I am thinking maybe this next year if Derek agrees, I can ride Oakley and he can ride Edgar, this would give me the time to put the miles on Oakley that he needs in order to be the best trailhorse he can be.

Saturday mid morning we headed to town with the boat, but we realized (after we were all the way in town) that we forgot the fish cooler, not too big a deal, but we also forgot the stringer which IS a big deal.. dammit, had to make a trip back home to grab that, how can we catch our limit if we have no cooler or stringer to put the fish in, they'd just be floppin around in the bottom of the boat otherwise! lol

I think we finally got on the water at about noon, headed down river a little ways, found a great hole and after about 90 minutes, the fish finally started biting. They were rolling all over the river, it is funny when fish are jumpin 4-5' from the boat. Derek caught 2, then a guy on the shore offered us one so we took it (no sense wasting fish!) and over the next hour or so, Derek caught 2 more and I caught 3, so we left the river with our limits of 4 each. It was actually nice to get off the river in the daylight! :) After we cleaned the 8 fish, we headed out the door to the Scherrer's Ranch to spend some time with friends watching a band play live music at the lake.. Stayed 3 hours then went back home to rest up for an early morning rise with another round of fishin..

Well when we walked in the door, life cant just be simple.. No we dont come home to 2 well behaved dogs, we come home to one great dog (Russell) and one stinker (Scout) who decided that she liked the smell of the fresh fish on the vaccum food sealer and proceeded to jump on the counter at her leisure and chewed on the sealing foam, chewed up the plastic piece that actually did the vaccuming, basically she ruined the sealer.. the sealer was a piece of crap anyways, it did NOT do it's job very well anyways, it oversealed burning holes in the sealed edges!

Sunday morning we woke up early, headed to Freddy's and bought a brand new Sealer, some breakfast, a couple fishing lures (had to replace the 2 we gave to a guy on the shore who needed all the help we could provide!) and then headed to the river. The weather seemed cooperative, we were optimistic we might have a nice morning and for the first couple hours, it was not bad. A little rain, put the ponchos on, but then the sun came out.. Well we (okay I) caught 3 fish!! Poor Derek had zero fishies at this point, we get back to our favorite spot and it just starts POURING.. not just raining, it was plain dumping on us! The guy we had given lures to the day before, he was on the shore again and informs us that he did NOT catch anything the day before.. so about 15 minutes into fishing the spot, Derek hooks into the biggest fish of the day.. the guy on the shore is saying, yelling (OH NO YOU DIDNT!) (I CANT BELIEVE THIS!) We are chuckling... it rained so hard, we were drenched and the boat was fillin up with water, I scooped a few gallons out and when we finally decided to call it quits and head to the shore to give our new friend a fish to take home to his wife, he was gone. I dont blame him, the rain was nasty.

Oh and did I Forget to tell you that when we dropped the boat in the water this morning, Derek heads up the ramp to park the truck, I'm just hanging out, just me and the boat... I look in the boat and see that the battery is almost underwater, the tackle box is floating! :) Derek forgot to put the plugs in the boat!! We got it all under control.. just an interesting way to start the day, but we left with 4 fish, so not dissappointing at all. I'm thinkin we might just have to make it out tomorrow.

It is Labor Day tommorrow (Derek has to work) and if its not raining in the morning, I'll be going riding and then when I get home, the hope is that the rain is away long enough to get our boat in the water when Derek gets off work and work on limiting out again!!! :) I LOVE this fishin business.. We've been givin fish away to friends/family, we've got plenty to share.

No comments: