Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Goat Down.. Goat Down..

I found Echo hiding out under the barn yesterday and from where I stood, it appeared he had something sticking out of his leg, I panicked thinking he had a broken leg as he was not putting any weight on it and he wouldnt come out to me. I phoned Derek and told him we might need to shoot the poor guy :(

I pursueded him to come out with treats and realized what was sticking out was a big flappy of skin, he had cut his leg up real bad and part of his bone was exposed. By this time I had already phoned Andrea and after getting him into my horse trailer (a dry and fairly clean environment) I finally got Andrea on the phone to find out what to do next. I love my goat, but I just am not willing to pump a bunch of money into him like we did with Troy.

So we headed to Dels to buy some supplies, betadine, furizone, needles, syringes, tetnus shot, penicilin. I know I misspelled some of those words! :) Got home and cleaned it the best we could, its tough to try to scrub an area that you know hurts like hell and he was gettin pretty pissed. It had been there for atleast 24 if not 36 hours, there was no sign of blood really, it was VERY dirty though and I did not get it all out. Andrea told me to cut the flappy skin off, maybe another day! He was too irritated last night.

The good news, his spirits seem pretty good, he is eating and drinking, pooping and peeing. ;) He is living in my horse trailer for now and will stay there until he is all better, so the ride I was supposed to do tomorrow... well I told the ladies they would have to pick me up or I couldnt go. The baby kids are really upset that their big buddy is missing and they just cry and cry for him.

I really hope Echo makes it, I will try my hardest to doctor it myself and wish for the best. I was initially worried that Oakley stepped on Echo and did this to him, but his leg is cut so badly and scraped on the inside too, that it is hard to believe a horse did this. The goats have found a way under the big barn and who knows what crap is under that barn he might have gotten stuck in.. I know I'm not climbing under there to look! The old barn has a concrete runner down the whole length on one side and I was told that it was there to be filled up with animal bones from butchering etc... so I am pretty sure there are still bones under that barn.

No comments: